Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Awesomeness of the "Bean"

As I was flipping through the book, something of interest caught my eye. I noticed a picture of Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate on page 201. This is a picture of a large sculpture located at the entrance of Millennium Park in Chicago. It is a fairly simple looking design: a large bean-shaped sculpture with a reflective surface. That's about it. However, this simple design makes for quite an incredible experience. I have been to Chicago twice, and both times have visited this awesome landmark. The only way I can describe the sculpture is surreal. The reflection the mirror gives off is somewhat skewed due to the angles and rounded shape of the sculpture, giving a surreal image that is different than the usual reflection you're used to when you look into a regular mirror. But this one is different. It makes you think, and makes you wonder. As you look at your strangely distorted face with the rounded city in the background, it just makes you think.
I had known about this sculpture for a long time, but never really thought about how artistic it is until recently.

Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate

No comments:

Post a Comment